Kamis, 02 April 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #38: Teen Comedies


Hello, and welcome back to Thursday Movie Picks! Thursday Movie Picks is a series, that is hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. If you want to join this series, you can simply click here for information.

Anyway, this week theme is teen comedy! In case you don't know, teen comedy is a genre where teenagers become assholes and bitches. And I'm not kidding.

Weird Science (John Hughes, 1985)



It's John Hughes', duh! Making a list of teen comedy without one of his films is almost equivalent with sin!

Heathers (Michael Lehmann, 1988)


It is not my favorite film, but Heathers is truly one of the kind. The story contains satire, darkness, humor, and quirkiness. Winona Ryder's character is one of those whiny girl, albeit wiser. It's a shame that this film wasn't a hit in the cinema. However, it's a cult classic.

Some people said that Mean Girls is the tamer version of Heathers.

Baby and I (Kim Jin Young, 2008)


I'm not really sure whether Baby and I is really a teen comedy or not, but hey, the protagonist is a teenage and it's comedy!

The story isn't deep and 'smart', but I really enjoy this film.  The baby is dubbed just like Mikey from Look Who's Talking. Unfortunately, the chemistry between Jang Geun Suk and Byul (the main characters) isn't strong enough. But they are more than acceptable as individuals.

Honorable mentions: John Hughes' coming-of-age films.

15 komentar:

  1. I've sadly never seen Weird Science...and I've never heard of Baby and I...but we both picked Heathers, and that's pretty awesome!

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. To be honest....I've only seen bits of Weird Science....
      Nah, it's normal if you never heard of Baby and I, It's only popular between fans of Kpop anyway, haha.

      Hapus
  2. heathers!! I think that might be the favourite this week. Nice list. Haven't seen the last one, and I always like coming across those.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Dang it, I thought only few people would choose Heathers. Oh well

      Hapus
  3. I wasn't crazy about Weird Science, I liked it but I think it's my least favorite of the Hughes comedies. Glad to see it turn up though since it hasn't been on anyone else's list. Heathers was such a high point for Winona Ryder a fun movie with a dark side. Have never heard of Baby and I.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. That's the main reason I picked Weird Science; nobody chose it.
      Heather is one of the best performance from Ryder.
      Baby and I is only famous in KPop fandom :D

      Hapus
  4. Baby and I sounds interesting. I should check it out. Great post!

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. I have warn you though, that it's a silly comedy.

      Hapus
  5. Nice choices, I quite like the sound of Wired Science having read a plot synopsis a while back. Haven't seen your other choices, but Heathers is a popular choices

    BalasHapus
  6. I don't know if I've seen Weird Science the movie, but I remember watching the tv series.

    Wandering through the Shelves

    BalasHapus
  7. Love Weird Science, such a slice of 80s goodness. Happy to see Heathers is quite popular this week. It's wickedly funny. Haven't heard of Baby and I. Sounds fun, though.

    BalasHapus
  8. I've only seen Baby and I from your picks, I found it fun, though the plot reminded me of another movie.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Wow, I think you are the first commenter who watches the film, haha. Nobody even ever heard that film.

      Hapus
  9. I've never heard of Baby and I, but now I'm intrigued. I love the other two choices. Weird Science was a good one!

    BalasHapus