Rabu, 01 April 2015

Blogathon: My 30 Cinematic Moments



So I read a post from my friend about a blogathon. I read it and it turns out to be A Fistful of Moments Blogathon, which is hosted by A Fistful of Films.

There are four (easy) rules if you want to join:

1) Pick a number between 1 and 100 (any more than 100 is just gaudy)
2) Choose that many cinematic moments that are either your all time favorites or ones that could, on any given day, be your all time favorites
3) Post them on your blog (or Tumblr or whatever) with the above header (or one you create for yourself)
4) Send me the link by either posting it here in the comments or getting ahold of me on Twitter ( @fististhoughts )

This is Andrew's definition about 'Cinematic Moment':
We all have them in the back of our minds; those moments that make us think "man, this is what the movies are all about". We relive those moments in our mind's eye, remembering them and dissecting them and adoring them. They come in all shapes and sizes, from all types of films, and yet they all share one very important aspect; they define why we love the movies. It could be the way that the moment is cut; the way it's edited together. It could be the way the moment uses it's actors to evoke a powerful emotion from us. It could be the way that music floods the scene and draws us even closer to the moment in question. It could be a grand climax, a breathtaking introduction or a simple interchange. It could be any and all things, because for every film lover, the list is different.
If you want to join, please mind that the list of this blogathon's participants will have been released by April 6th.

I picked 30 because I'm fascinated with the 30-year-old jokes in TV. So...let's start, shall we?

 
5 Centimeters per Second: Kanae's Realization

pinterest.com
 The second part from Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second is literally the story of my life. How Kanae follows Tono, how she wonders what's on Tono's head, and how she can't help to still in Tono's spell even after she realizes that Tono's heart has been taken by someone else. I think whoever knows the feeling of unrequited love, is able to understand Kanae's experience and feeling.


500 Days of Summer: Expectation vs Reality 
  
moustachemagazine.com
An iconic scene from one of the most popular romantic-comedy film. We laugh for how funny this scene is and we cry for how we experience this everyday.







 A Clockwork Orange: The Opening Scene 

kyleschen.com
Who knows that we can find a beauty by mixing four boys, obscene furnitures, and Henry Purcell's Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary? I can not find the correct words to describe how magnificent, powerful, and beautiful this scene. 








Across the Universe: The Stare Between Jude and Lucy 

flickr.com

It really touches me how Jude (Jim Sturgess) and Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood) express their longing and love by simply staring toward each other. It is one of those moment where love and longing are spoken silently. Applause for Sturgess and Wood for being able to express dozens of emotions without words.

And thank you for whoever chose "All You Need is Love" for background! 


Annie Hall: ...because we need the eggs

untappedcities.com

Alvy (Woody Allen) wasn't a romantic and sentimental enough for society's standard, but in the end of the day, he was. He wrote a story about his relationship with happy ending, he reminisced his relationship with Annie (Diane Keaton), he stared her for a while before he walked away, and he expressed his (somewhat) bitter thoughts about love in a joke. These little things make the ending of Annie Hall heartbreaking.

Plus, let's not forget Diane Keaton's Seems Like Old Times being played in the ending scene.


Atonement: A Sister's Regret 

metacafe.com
People encourage us to have imagination and other shit stuffs. But Atonement proves the danger of overloading imagination and faith in your instinct. 

Sometimes I feel that this film (and perhaps novel) mock human's cowardice in asking forgiveness and regret it later. 

Applause for Vanessa Redgrave's brilliant acting. It's marvelous how she can amaze me in  5-10 minutes.

P.S: I myself find it very hard to ask forgiveness. Sure, I can say "excuse me" or "sorry" when I'm clumsy or forget something, but I often find myself feel awkward and uncomfortable in asking forgiveness.      


The Chaser: A Bloody-Beautiful Massacre

factualopinion.com

It is ironic and sad how beautiful a massacre scene can be.









Fatal Attraction: Rollercoaster

sixteenstalvirgins.tumblr.com

Kids, never forget that the unknown-yet-pretty woman picks you up at school can be the crazy bitch your dad fucked yesterday.   

Anyway, I really love the editing of the scene, it's fast and thrilling, but not messy. Also, God bless Glenn Close's creepy smile throughout the rollercoaster ride. 







Ferris Bueller: ...anyone, anyone?


This simple scene indirectly shows how lucky Ferris (Matthew Broderick) by taking a day of instead wasting his life on a boring and useless lecture. I feel a pang of regret and sadness because I realize how much time I waste in my life by doing things I dislike more than things I like and I want.




Fight Club: When your feet on the air and your head on the ground

thegodabovegod.com
I think there's something beautiful in witnessing people holding hands in the middle of chaos. It shows that you still have something to hold although the reality collapses around you. (I know that is what not Fincher's trying to say with this scene).  



Frances Ha: Modern Love

tvatemywardrobe.com
What will you get when you combine a damsel in distress with David Bowie's Modern Love? Greta Gerwig running excitedly in the middle of street. This particular scene never fails to put a smile on my face because the excitement and spirit that Gerwig shows feel so sincere.

Thank you thousand times for introducing me to Modern Love!



The Grand Budapest Hotel: The Cold-Blooded Murder of Deputy Kovacs

pastemagazine.com
I want to pick every scene from Wes Anderson's 2014 hit film. Seriously, Grand Budapest Hotel has too many funny and memorable scenes. But alas, I pick the most thrilling one. 

The scene has typical dim light setting and a wonderful score, but there is something different from Grand Budapest Hotel's chasing scene that makes it different from any other chasing scene. Perhaps it is the film's cheery and pink aura.

This scene won't be the same without Alexander Desplat. The music itself isn't a typical thriller music, it has a playful feeling from the overall movie, but it's also mixed with fear and thrill.  


I Saw the Devil: The Killing that Starts it All  

horrorphile.net
Just like The Grand Budapest Hotel, I find it hard to pick a scene from I Saw the Devil because the film has too many memorable and amazing scenes. The opening, the fight in the taxi, the ending, all of them are...cinematic. 

The reason I pick the first killing scene is because I remember how startled I was by the devil's nonchalance about his victim's pregnancy. It just shows how much a devil he is.


In the mood for love: Secret

findingmyway.net
Hands down for Wong Kar Wai's beautiful direction, Christopher Doyle's wonderful cinematography, and Tony Leung's amazing acting.









Inception: A Little Walk in a Big Dream

bluerayview.com
I always feel like a little child watching a film for the first time, everytime I watch this particular piece from Christopher Nolan. Maybe Inception has a mediocre effect for those who watches far, greater films. But the visual effect from Inception still leaves me dazed, even now.  

   

Inglourious Basterds: Meet Hans Landa 

kellimarshall.net
I'm starting to believe that Tarantino's IQ is 160. No way a man with average IQ can make a stunning and smart opening like the one from Inglourious Basterds. 







Kill Bill vol. 1: The Bloody Bride

a2rev.wordpress.com
The black-and-white makes the event seems happening long ago. Perhaps it also shows that is the last time Beatrix (Uma Thurman) sees her relationship with Bill in black-and-white way. She realizes that Bill has more colors than she thought.

The gown that Uma Thurman wears, adds a bitter taste because no bride wants to be bloody beaten in her wedding day.  


Magnolia: Julianne Moore's fuckin' badass speech

giphy.com
The quotes themselves already show why I pick this scene.  

Applause too for Julianne Moore's stunning acting!









Memories of Murders: No Closure 

whitecitycinema.com
Memories of Murders is based from true story of South Kore's first serial murder. Nobody knows who is the real serial killer, just like nobody knows the real meaning of Song Kang Ho's gaze. It can either mean that he wants to know your opinion about the real murder or he's sure that real killer is among the audience. 




Mother: A Mother's Dance

legendarytrips.com
Words are not enough to describe the beauty of Bong Joon Ho's Mother's opening scene. Kim Hyeja's obscure dance and expression blend perfectly with Lee Byung Woo's score and South Korea's screnery. Kim Hyeja really expresses a woman who doesn't give a fuck anymore.





The Notebook: What do you want?

yourtango.com
Ryan Gossling's line is a duet between realistic and fantasy love. It's realistic because romantic relationship isn't only about fighting the social class, culture, and economy, but it's also about fighting our ego and making sacrifice. The line is also fantasy because a guy who talks like that only happens once in a blue moon.  



Oldboy: A Father's Silence, Pain, and Smile

reddit.com

Choi Min Shik perfectly acts as a father who realizes that he has done an unforgiveable sin with his daughter, and he can't say a word about it.







Rocky Horror Picture Show: After Hot Pattotie

morethings.com
"Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul" is my favorite song from the legendary Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I'm not talking about the "Hot Patootie" scene. I'm talking about Tim Curry's manic face. 

Also, I love how the Jim Sharman is so unafraid to change the mood.







The Sound of Music: The Hills are Alive

wikimapia.org
Shouting "The hills are alive" with all my heart is the first thing I will do if I go to the Alpens. 
I think the government should thank this film for creating a money-making tourism.






Submarine: Oliver's Death

rebloggy.com
This, and two weeks of lovemaking, are my favorite scenes from Richard Ayoade's Submarine. 
In some way, this scene expresses teenagers (and adults) asking themselves if people around them really care. It also questions whether our existence is really worth it or not.






Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance: Your unknown misery is others' happiness
talkiegazette.com

 I am not satisfied with the picture I chose because it's not able to fully show the reason I see this scene as cinematic. In case you don't know, this is the part when the sick sister groans in pain while her brother is eating noddle...and their neighbors are masturbating, thinking the sounds are produced by sexual activity.

The scene is funny and depressing. It shows how we can stay ignorant toward other people's misery and even mistook it to satisfy our ego.


There Will be Blood: Underneath Selfishness

filmhafizasi.com
This is probably the only scene where Daniel (Daniel Day-Lewis) exhibits his love for his (adopted) son deeply and emotionally. I'm touched by how Daniel hugs his son closely, uncaring about his oil, his clothes, and his position. 





Three Colors: Red: Life and Art

criterion.com
Does life imitate art...or does art imitate life?








 


Through a Glass Darkly: The Chamber

staticmass.net
Everytime I see this scene, I never think about Karin's (Harriet Andersson) relationship with God. Instead, I feel the sensuality of Karin's movement and expression. I feel that Harriet Andersson expresses Karin's unfulfilled love from her father, husband, and brother.



Winter Light: Abandonment
actingoutpolitics.com
I feel so bitter when I see how there are barely people in the church despite the priest's determination to continue the sermon.














P.S: I don't know why the hell it's so hard to edit the appearance of this post. I have trouble with editing the space.

9 komentar:

  1. OH my God so much good stuff here! That scene in Mother: amazing. "Modern Love" in Frances Ha is EVERYTHING. The opening of Inglorious Basterds? PERFECTION. Vanessa Redgrave in Atonement slays me. Tim Curry in Rocky Horror is on a whole other level of genius. And there is no topping that moment in Sound of Music for iconic openings.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Ii'm in little dilemma since I think I pocked too much....but oh well.

      Hapus
  2. You did NOT pick too much! It doesn't hurt that every one of these is kind of perfect. I mean...all that I've seen, I love, and so many of these I wish I had picked for myself. Love the Bergman mentions, the In the Mood for Love scene (like, I got to that moment on your list and I just stared at the screen because I was hating myself for not including it) and I so love that you went there with The Notebook!

    Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and taking the time to play along with this blogathon!

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Trust me, you're not the only one. I literally pulled my hair after I had read a list that include E.T.

      Hapus
  3. Such a great list! So many of my favorites are on here from 500 Days of Summer, Inception, Grand Budapest, Inglorious Basterds. Awesome picks!

    BalasHapus
  4. Love your choices! That Atonement scene was just so heartbreaking. I didn't see that twist coming at all.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. Same with me. It's both heartbreaking and unexpected.

      Hapus
  5. Great list! I toyed with a few of these myself so it's nice to see them getting what they deserve!

    BalasHapus